Recipe: Nopalitos Ceviche
Treat yourself to remarkable dining experiences featuring chef collaborations and local wild foods at the culinary events of this year’s Agave Heritage Festival! In the meantime, you can explore Sonoran heritage foods in your own kitchen with Cup Cafe Executive Chef Joe Decker’s recipe for Nopalitos Ceviche.
• 1 lb cleaned diced nopalitos
• 2 cups diced tomato
• 3 jalapenos diced, seeds in
• 1 cup diced red onions
• 1 bunch of cilantro, chopped
• 1 tbs minced garlic
• 2 cups of lime juice
1. Boil water in 3 pots. Put the nopalitos in to the first pot for about 3 minutes. The water will start to thicken.
2. Strain and repeat in the second pot of water, then the third. The water should get less thick each time.
3. After the third pot, strain and cool.
4. Soak the nopalitos in lime juice for about an hour.
5. Strain off lime juice, but don’t throw it away.
6. Mix nopalitos with all other ingredients.
7. Slowly add a little bit of the lime juice back in to the mixture until you get the desired taste. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve with tortilla chips.