Come to the annual event at Downtown Tucson’s historic Hotel Congress commemorating the capture of PUBLIC ENEMY No.1, John Dillinger! Hosted on Friday, January 23 and Saturday, January 24, 2015.
America’s Most Notorious Outlaw Would Be Damned at OUR Annual Celebration of His Famous Capture Taking Place In January
Tucson, AZ (October 1, 2014) Mobs of history buffs, fans of the 1930’s, pop culture enthusiasts, and more crowd the historic Hotel Congress annually to pay homage to the man that famously earned the title Public Enemy No. 1 and his nationally-renowned apprehension. Each year The Hotel Congress hosts a two-day spectacle in honor of the capture of America’s most notorious outlaw by the Tucson Police Department and the Tucson Fire Department. The festivities commence with a fundraising Speakeasy at 7 p.m. on Friday, January 23, continue with a free family-friendly, all-day event starting at 9 a.m. on Saturday, January 24, and conclude with Whiskey Weekend at 7 p.m. Gas up your speedster because all roads lead to Hotel Congress for the cultural and historical event of Southern Arizona.
The larger than life event is not only popular with attendees, but also for local downtown businesses. Derrick Widmark, owner of Diablo Burger and Good Oak, believes in the overwhelming success of the event, “Dillinger Days 2014 were great for downtown businesses. Hotel Congress is ever more vital as the heart of Downtown Tucson, giving folks the chance to explore all of the changes and new venues downtown. At Diablo Burger and Good Oak Bar we are extremely fortunate and grateful to be neighbors to such a venerable local landmark as Hotel Congress, and greatly appreciate everything that Richard, Shana and all the good folks at Congress did to make Dillinger Days a reality”.
Tickets to the spirited Speakeasy, starting at 7 p.m. on Friday, January 23 at Hotel Congress, are only $25 with proceeds benefiting the Greater Tucson Fire Foundation. This bootlegger’s paradise is sure to please.
The lucky 250 Speakeasy ticketholders will enjoy:
- Theme-inspired bites by The Cup Cafe
- Exclusive Borderlands brews
- Whiskey tastings, (8) varieties including Whiskey Del Bac
- Performances by Kings of Pleasure & Desert Melodies
- Cigar smoking lounge
- Johnny Hot Shot Gun Show
- Photo booth by Flash in the Past
- Vintage car show
- Pop-up memorabilia museum
- Turn of the century magic show by Kenny Stewart
- The chance to wear their 1930’s best and use the password “I’ll be damned”
The overwhelming success of last year’s Dillinger Days has sparked additional events to accommodate the crowds of Tucsonans descending into Downtown Tucson for the historic commemoration. The free events start at 9 a.m. and run until 5 p.m. with something for everyone.
The 2015 Dillinger Days festivities include:
- (3) Capture Reenactments
- Live music
- (2) Guided historical walking tours of downtown
- Vintage car show with over 100 cars
- Self-guided historical walking tours of downtown
- Turn of the century magic shows by Kenny Stewart
- (2) Historical lectures
- 1930’s specials from the Cup Café
- Beer Garden with (4) local breweries
- Themed art exhibit featuring Danny Martin
- Arts & Crafts Fair
- Carnival games
- (2) Vintage Fire Trucks, including the truck present at the actual fire in 1934
- Historical artifact museum, including Dillinger’s Tommy Gun hosted at the Wells Fargo Bank Building
- Screening of Public Enemies, featuring Johnny Depp, at The Screening Room
The hush, hush speakeasy details
Friday, January 23 kicks-off the spirited celebration with a Speakeasy. This slap-happy speako is every bootlegger’s paradise and happens to be for a good cause with proceeds benefiting The Greater Tucson Fire Foundation. Guaranteed a good time with live music, whiskey tastings, turn of the century magic show, pop up memorabilia museum, photo booth, award-winning bites from the Cup Café, a “John Dillinger” gun show, and local craft beer by Borderlands Brewing Company. Tickets to the ages 21 and older event are only $25 and limited to 250 guests. Get your tickets, dress in your 1930’s best, practice the password (Dillinger’s famous catchphrase “I’ll be damned”), and get down to Club Congress.Celebrate the icon and his downfall by the hands of Tucson law enforcement, famously known for succeeding with Dillinger’s arrest when the FBI couldn’t. For tickets or more event information please call The Hotel Congress at 520-622-8848.
This event wouldn’t be possible without our fantastic sponsors
Other January 2015 Events
- 12/31/14 Tucson Times Square NYE Block Party
- 01/2/15 Steff & the Articles
- 01/3/15 Tyler Scruggs
- 01/6/15 Amped Up!
- 01/7/15 The Pesos & AZ77
- 01/8/15 South Rail
- 01/11/15 2015 Concert for Civility
- 01/14/15 Hibou
- 01/16/15 Midge Ure
- 01/23/15 Sweet Ghosts
- 01/24/15 Rob Zabrecky
- 01/29/15 Todd Snider
- 01/30/15 Fred Knipe