Maynards Recipe: Valentine’s Day Gnocchi
Opting for a night in with a home cooked meal this Valentine’s Day? Use Chef Brian’s delicious gnocchi recipe!
Show us your kitchen creations by tagging #MaynardsRecipe with your photos!
- 300 g bread flour
- 450 g whole milk
- 100 g butter, plus more for searing
- 9 g kosher salt
- 1 g black pepper
- 300 g whole eggs
- 300 g Parmesan, grated
- oil, as needed
Carrot Pomodoro ingredients:
- 6 whole carrots, diced
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 8 cloves garlic, diced
- 8 chiltepin, crushed
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/4 pound butter
- 1 cup water
- Bring milk, butter, salt and pepper to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat.
- Add flour all at once and stir with a wooden spoon until a smooth dough forms a ball. Reduce heat to medium-low and continue to stir, beating dough forcefully and rapidly to prevent it from sticking to the pot.
- Continue cooking until dough pulls away from sides of pot, leaving a thin layer, and steams slightly.
- Transfer hot dough to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Add cheese and beat on medium-low speed.
- Add eggs one at a time, allowing dough to fully incorporate egg before adding the next one.
- Transfer mixture to a gallon-sized zipper-lock bag or a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch tip. Let mixture rest 15 to 25 minutes at room temperature.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a simmer and have a rimmed baking sheet.
- If using a zipper-lock bag, cut off a 1/2-inch opening in one corner. Holding the bag over the boiling water, squeeze the mixture out of the bag, cutting it off with a paring knife into 1-inch lengths and letting them fall directly into the simmering water. Continue cutting off as many as you can in one minute, then stop. Cook for two minutes or until they float to the top.
- Remove from water and place on an oil lined baking sheet and allow to cool.
- Keep going till all the gnocchi are cooked. Reserve some cooking liquid.
- When finished, cook the gnocchi in a preheated hot non stick skillet with olive oil until golden brown. Toss with sauce and serve with ricotta and fresh chervil or parsley.
Preparation: Carrot Pomodoro
- On medium heat sauté the carrots, onion and pepper for two minutes.
- Add the garlic and continue cooking for another two minutes.
- Deglaze with the wine followed by the water. Cook until liquid is reduced.
- Blend the veggies in a robot coupe until it resembles marinara sauce in texture.
- When ready to serve, place the sauce in a pan and heat till hot. Mount with ¼ pound butter then toss with the cooked gnocchi.